Fundraising with Your YearbookJul 9th 2018
Did you know that you can turn your yearbook into a fundraiser?! Whether it's to raise funds for your school or organization to pay for the yearbook, or to support another cause that is not directly related to your school, Blossom makes it easy to raise those funds.
Fundraising to Pay for the Yearbook
You can sell ad space in your school or organization's yearbook to raise funds to pay for the yearbook. There are several businesses and people in your local community who would love to support their local school while also getting their business information out there. Plus, having a couple of pages at the back of your book dedicated to advertisements is a great way to reduce the cost of your yearbook.
Some ideas for people to sell ad space to are:
- Parents & People You Know – Several people and parents have a business they would like to advertise or know someone who does. Advertising in their local school or organization's yearbook gives them a sense of being a part of it, being supportive, and getting the word out about their business.
- People might also like to place a “recognition ad.” A recognition ad is like writing a message in a yearbook that the publisher prints in all the yearbooks. As a yearbook publisher for many years, Blossom has many ad templates to choose from. Just ask your yearbook design specialist for more information.
- Local businesses – Most local businesses want to support local schools and organizations. The best way to sell ad space to them is to actually go there and talk to the manager. Face time carries a lot of weight when selling ad space. It shows initiative and determination from you and it is more difficult to refuse. Send a representative to all local shops, dentist’s offices, doctor’s offices, insurance offices, etc. Try selling entire pages to local businesses and/or parents. It's also a good idea to share the love and place a small “thank you” to them at the bottom of the page. It will serve as an acknowledgement and a bit of advertising for the small business.
Funraising to Support a Cause
Turn it up a notch by raising funds for another cause, in addition to your school or organization's yearbook. There are several causes that appeal to parents and local businesses.
A couple school-affiliated possibilities to consider are:
- Building Repairs or Improvements - It’s best to keep this on the small side. Be realistic about how much you will be able to raise. While it may be unlikely that you will manage to raise enough to re-pave the student parking lot; however, if this is an on-going school effort, you may be able to raise money to help pay for the improvements. Every little bit helps!
- School Programs (Sports or Band) - People who see the importance of extracurricular programs will jump onboard to support them. There are also good causes that are not directly connected to the school.
Have a portion of the proceeds go toward something un-school related like:
- Health-Related Causes - Perhaps there is even someone in your school or community that could use a little extra help.
- Causes Connected to People in Need - Homeless shelters and hunger organizations are good options if this is a problem in your area. Find a homeless shelter or a food bank in your area to help support.
Be sure to plan well ahead and collect the money for advertising before your yearbooks are printed. If you decide to donate part of the proceeds to an outside cause, contact someone affiliated with the cause ahead of time.
If you are designing online with Blossom, we have the opportunity to make fundraising even easier! You'll see what you're paying for your book, and you can set your online store price wherever you'd like to sell it to parents, students, and community members. If your online orders go above and beyond the amount due for your book, Blossom will send you a check when your yearbook is printed. It's that easy!